Monday, June 7, 2010

Dutchess

By now most people know that we are down to having just one dog.  We lost Dutchess back in April.  I've been completely devastated- thankfully I have Peyton to keep me busy.
We adopted Dutchess when she was about 6 months old (maybe?).  Her and Duke got along great- Dutchess was much more timid than Duke and Duke was definitely in charge, but they loved each other and cuddled on the couch often.
Josh had taken both of the dogs to my parents on Saturday, April 24th.  Josh and my dad took the dogs to the dog park and they all had a great time.  The dogs stayed at my parents during the day while Josh went to a concert.  After the concert Josh picked up the dogs and headed home.  Unfortunately he was in an accident just a few miles from home (but still in the middle of the desert on the way to Maricopa).  When he opened the car door to take the dogs out (in case the car caught on fire or something) Dutchess took off.  I'm sure she was scared from the accident (she was skidish to begin with), and then when Josh started chasing her it probably scared her even more.  My dad and I went and looked for her the next morning, and Josh and my mom looked for her on Monday, but no one has seen her since.
I just feel awful about the whole thing- I can't imagine how scared she must have been and I just hope that she either found a good home right away or was killed right away.  I know that sounds awful, but I hate the thought of her being hurt in the desert or having to hunt for food and water.  She was a pet- not a wild dog (although some would argue that she was part coyote). 
Most people have been very understanding about the situation and can really feel for me.  Others don't know quite what to say and end up saying the wrong thing and making me feel even worse, but I know it's not on purpose.
Dutchess had such a good life with us- and I hope that she remembers us fondly- as we remember her.  I miss her everyday.

3 comments:

Chrissy Edwards said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry, Lori!

Anonymous said...

I still feel so bad for you and Dutchess. You did a great job of writing the article.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Please contact Ronald Black at 520-315-2226 at the Air Force Base about Dutchess.