Thursday, January 23, 2014

The "Me Bag"

This week, Peyton was chosen to present her "Me Bag". Basically her teacher sends home a bag (like a reusable grocery bag) with a note asking the student to place things in the bag that help represent who they are as a person.  I'm sure you can imagine what most children want to put in the bag.  The moment we got the bag home on Tuesday, Peyton began filling it with crap.  Seriously, Josh and I just watched as she ran around her room like crazy finding random objects to stuff in.  One of the items that the list asks students to bring is a picture of his/her family.  I asked Peyton to draw a picture of our family - she drew herself, me, Josh, & Duke.  I almost choked on my dinner when I saw the picture because I was very confused.  See for yourself:



I gently asked her to explain what body parts she drew.  Apparently the circles on the edges of our bodies are our hips (I was thinking butt!) and the circle within the circle is our belly buttons.  I don't have a belly button in the picture because obviously I am wearing a dress.  Let me explain the picture.  Starting on the left, on top is Duke (who DOES have a belly button), I am on the bottom in yellow.  Apparently I was having a wild hair day.  Peyton is in the middle, drawn in black or brown, with fairly short hair.  She has hips, a belly button, hands, and feet/shoes.  I believe she is also wearing a dress, but there must be some sort of "belly button hole" in it.  Josh is on the right side in yellow.  He is much taller than me and Peyton, I'm not sure that he is wearing any clothes, and he has a smaller belly button than Duke and Peyton.  She asked how to spell Duke & Daddy and did the rest of the writing on her own.  Someday I'll teach her to write in a straight line.  Maybe.

Ok, so here are the contents of her Me Bag:  (after many discussions about what should/should not go...)
- Hand drawn picture of family
- Photograph of family
- Woo (her favorite pink & white puppy!)
- Baby Ava 
- Ariel (I hope her teacher doesn't hate me once Peyton makes Ariel "sing" a billion times)
- A random heart bracelet
- A Shutterfly book of her 4th year of life (3rd birthday to 4th birthday)
- Frozen Soundtrack CD
- Cinderella Book (the one Duke didn't chew on)
- Mini-Pillowpet - ladybug


We are also taking a bag of oranges & grapefruit for her to share with her class since he loves helping Josh garden.  I asked the assistant teacher yesterday if we were allowed to bring oranges and grapefruit and she said yes, but I'm not 100% sure they will be ok.  Her main teacher isn't usually at school when I drop P off, so I didn't have a chance to get the ok from her.  Hopefully I didn't waste time cleaning and cutting fruit for nothing!

Will hopefully update with a picture of P and her Me Bag tomorrow!

No comments: